Category: Functionality - Critical Incident ID: X000009 Priority: 9 - Urgent Status: Correction Pending Component:
Assigned To: tbd Date Logged: 2000-08-11
Date Recorded: 2001-03-06
Date Closed: none
In the original ODMA 2.0 Library header file
Odma.h, the value for
ODM_REFCOPYis incorrectly defined.
The value, introduced in ODMA 2.0, is the same as if
ODM_VIEWMODE | ODM_MODIFYMODE
were specified for the value of the
flagsparameter. Consequently, a correct use of
ODM_REFCOPYwill be rejected for error
ODM_E_INVARGby all versions of ODMA DMS integrations, whether for ODMA 2.0 or for earlier versions of ODMA.
Why is this considered critical?
The incorrectly-defined value makes it impossible to ever successfully test the
ODM_REFCOPYcase with an ODMA-aware application or a properly operating ODMA 2.0-compliant DMS integration. Consequently, production installations should never encounter the problem this defect causes.
The problem is considered critical because there is a risk of independently-introduced repairs that damage the interoperability of ODMA implementations. In addition,
ODM_REFCOPYfunctionality is not successfully deliverable until this situation is remedied.
The following actions are proposed:
- Record the existence of of the problem and establish an incident report as notification and as documentation of the repair that is needed. [2001-03-06: Completed]
- Open a project for developing a maintenance and functionality release 2.0.1 of the ODMA 2.0 Libraries. That release will remedy several defects in the current library header files. This will be project P000702.
- Present a workaround for this specific problem.
- Look at what it would take to have Connection Manager trace logging provide detailed flag and result code reporting.
- Close this incident report when (1-5) are complete and it is clear that proper handling of flags for
ODMOpenDocis fully confirmed.
The value of 3 is incorrect. The correct value is 4. That will always be the correct value.
This situation will be experienced only by an ODMA-aware application that requires an ODMA 2.0 DMS integration in order to operate, and that requests an
ODM_REFCOPY. this request will always fail if the original header files are used. In addition, no ODMA 2.0 DMS integration constructed with those header files will be able to perform a valid
ODM_E_INVARGresponse should always occur instead.
- Dennis Hamilton
- reviewed old ODMA Tech mail for untracked incidents, logged this incident (2000-08-11) and then recorded the incident (2001-03-06) as part of having all backlog recorded.
- Paul O'Sullivan
- reported the original incident.
- Bob St. Jean
- confirmed the error and specified the correction.
created 2001-03-06-08:24 -0800 (pst) by orcmid
$$Author: Orcmid $
$$Date: 01-03-06 13:20 $
$$Revision: 3 $