The Open Document Management API (ODMA) Coalition provided a standard connection-manager implementation for use in the implementation, distribution, and installation of products based on the ODMA 2.0 Specification.
This section provides downloads for all official and semi-official ODMA materials developed by the ODMA coalition. It is the archival source of all stable ODMA materials.
ODMA 2.0 Specification
ODMA 2.0 Connection Manager
ODMA 2.0 SDK
ODMA 2.0 Source Code
Earlier ODMA Materials
- see also:
- ODMA Support
The ODMA 2.0 Specification concentrates on the API that is available for desktop applications to use when integrating with document-management systems via the ODMA interfaces. Supplementary information describes the interfaces offered to the Connection Manager by DMS Drivers and also specifies how DMS drivers and applications are registered with ODMA.
The ODMA 2.0 Specification is organized in five parts:
Brief history and description of important common elements:
ODMA Document IDs
Connections and the ODMA Connection Manager
Document Format Names
DMS and Client File System Dialogs - Controlling Order of Presentation to users
Query Syntax and Query Examples
- ODMA API
The C Language API offered by the ODMA 2.0 Connection Manager for use by ODMA-aware desktop applications. This is the reference definition of the operations, how they are used, and what the defined responses are.
- DMS Interface
The COM Interfaces supplied by Document Management System drivers
- Configuration, Installation, and Operation
Binding to the ODMA API
Installing a DMS
Installing a Client Application
Tracing Connection Manager Operations
A. Document Attributes
B. Preferred ODMA API Usage for Creation of New Documents
Usually, the ODMA Connection Managers are installed along with the installation of DMS services on the Microsoft Windows desktop. This download is provided for independent use in troubleshooting. It can also be used to eliminate any doubt whether the latest supported version of the ODMA connection manager is installed.
Note: It is recommended that
ODMA32.dllbe extracted to a separate location, and then copied to
Windows/SYSTEMfrom there. This allows the
ODMA32.dllto be switched and then restored whenever required for trouble-shooting or to correct a DMS installation that introduces an obsolete version.
For more information on setting up ODMA software for trouble-shooting, see also
Q000603: Latest ODMA Software
Q000706: ODMA Version Interoperability Configuration
The ODMA 2.0 SDK provides materials needed by three groups of people:
- Developers and integrators of document management systems who want to provide ODMA integrations and develop DMS drivers for integration under ODMA
- Developers and installers of desktop applications that want to provide or configure ODMA-compliant operation as an added-value of the application
- Users and support personnel who want to confirm installation and test operation of their ODMA configurations
The included ODMA Test application is useful in
- demonstrating basic operation,
- adjusting configuration settings, and
- providing test logs for comparison with those that result from other combinations of applications and DMS drivers
The ODMA Connection Manager provides logging capabilities that can be controlled by adjustment of the Windows system registry. Logging can be used to report all ODMA operations performed in a session of operation, providing valuable information for trouble-shooting an ODMA integration.
The ODMA 2.0 SDK includes the following software:
- ODMA Connection Manager: The ODMA 2.0 16-bit connection manager, Odma.dll and the ODMA 2.0 32-bit connection manager, ODMA32.dll
- Sample DMS Implementation: A Sample DMS,
ODMASAMP, with source code, that can be installed and used (16-bit and 32-bit versions). This sample confirms simple operations using text-format documents. The source code for the Sample DMS is included for use as a model by developers of DMS integrations.
- ODMA Test Application:
ODMATest(16-bit and 32-bit versions) operates using ODMA with the Sample DMS and can be used to confirm and explore the ODMA configuration. The source code for the ODMA Test program is also installed for use as a model by developers of ODMA-aware desktop applications.
- ODMA 2.0 Specification: A copy of the specification is included.
- ODMA Libraries: The ODMA libraries and header files needed to build ODMA DMS drivers and ODMA-aware desktop applications are included.
The current ODMA 2.0 Source Code includes the following components:
- The Sample DMS Implementation for use in confirming operation of the connection manager (also included in the ODMA 2.0 SDK),
- The ODMA Test Application used for operating the configuration and confirming its operation (also included in the ODMA 2.0 SDK),
- The ODMA 2.0 Connection Manager source code.
There are two implementations of each component, one for Win32, another for Win16. The necessary files for construction using Microsoft Visual C++ (circa version 6.0, dependant on Microsoft Foundation Classes) are included.
ODMA Interoperability Exchange.
created 2000-05-16-23:02 +0200 (it) by orcmid